Congratulations to these officials from the LA Unit who have been assigned NCAA post-season games:
Charles Glover, SCIAC - NCAA DIII 2nd round
Michael Marsh, Pac-12 - Armed Forces Bowl
Quentin Givens, Big 12 - Independence Bowl
Darren Deckard, Big 12 - Independence Bowl (alt)
The LA Unit is proud of all of these officials, who have risen to the top of the NCAA officiating ranks.
If you still owe assignment fees for this season, please do make sure you settle your account.
There are VARIOUS WAYS to pay:
1) PAY IN PERSON You can pay your fees by visiting Don Childs. Please reach out to him at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements. You can drop off your payment. You can use cash, check or credit card.
2) SEND A CHECK You can send a check made out to CFOA-LA UNIT to the following address: CFOA-LA Unit, PO Box 35284, Los Angeles, CA 90035
3) PAY VIA PAYPAL WITH YOUR BANK ACCOUNT Use your bank account to pay via PayPal. Send the payment on PayPal to email@example.com with the note "ASSIGNMENT FEE." Please select "Send To Someone You Trust", friend or family, when choosing the PayPal method of payment to avoid added fees.
4) Cash App Donald Childs - $LosAngelesUnit35284
5) Wells Fargo Zelle - Dchilds30@yahoo.com
If you have any questions about what you might owe, you can reach out to Tony at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The assignment fee is $6/game for members, $8/game for non-members.
If your assignment fees are not paid in full by Dec. 14, 2019, a penalty will be added to your balance and your name will not appear on the 2020 assignment list.
Thanks to everyone who worked hard and made 2019 a successful season for our unit. Check back here in the late winter or early spring for 2020 registration information.
In the meantime, talk to friends and colleagues who may want to join us. We're always looking for people interested in officiating, and we do our best to find opportunities to get on the field as quickly as possible.
2019 Summer Study Guide
These 100 questions will help you review the NFHS rules and prepare for the season.
2019 NFHS Football Rules Changes
All of the rules changes for the 2019 season are outlined in this document, including changes to the play clock, tripping and batting, which align the NFHS rules more with NCAA rules.
40/25 Second Play Clock App on Apple Watches
There is an app for Apple watches that runs the 25- and 40-second play clocks. If you have an Apple watch, be sure to download the app on your phone, then use it on your watch.
Thanks to everyone who ran for a position on the 2020 CFOA-LA Board. The winners of the election are:
President - Brandon Sampson
Secretary - Don Taylor
Members-At-Large - Kemo Patrick & Patrick Riley
Also, both ballot measures to amend the Unit bylaws failed.
Southern California football officiating lost a legend recently with the passing of Dean Crowley. He is a former commissioner of the CIF Southern Section and a huge advocate of officials. We are keeping his family in our thoughts. You can read more about Dean in the LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-vti-dean-crowley-20190525-story.html
With various media reports of needles being found on ballfields, and with the increase of homelessness in Los Angeles, inspecting fields before each game will be a point of emphasis this season. Each official should be on the field at least 30 minutes before each game for a careful inspection of the field.
If you find a needle, do not touch it. Contact a school administrator immediately, and be sure to include this in your game report.